Wednesday, May 12, 2010

go green - use usb in place of CD

We use lots of CDs and DVDs for installing software. While CDs have many disadvantages one other disadvantage is about waste. One idea could be to have a device that can be programmed to behave as a CD/DVD drive and a mechanism to simulate inserting different disks.

The closest solution I notice as under development project is http://renosite.com/ - 'USB CD Emulator'.

I was thinking to combine iPod & iPodLinux and additional software for converting iso to cd drive and other UI part to select the ISO to be presented.

I do have iPod 20GB Fourth Generation (Gray scale). The batery is gone or going... If I can get it to work in the above fashion, I am sure this can be a great break through. I might be able to get funding for greening efforts too.

Blog Archive