http://www.oswd.org/
Recently we registered a domain and posted 'under construction' page. Shopped around for some one who can quickly create few web pages to spread the word. I got quote from 2 sources and they were much more than $250 with couple of hours investment from me. I have basic understanding of HTML and I was wondering why we got to invest more that kind of money for the web design that is a living document - meaning will change multiple times in a year.
On a weekend we typed "web design open source" on a search engine. Clicked the first result. Picked up a design and we were able to quickly make a imageless set of web pages. All in less than 3 ours of my time. Now, I wonder if my >$250 would have to me better web site. Images take long time to load any way and I got many folks who would load the web page from lower bandwidth locations.
Wondering if open source has taken away $250 of my business from some company/individual. What would happen if this proliferation grows where every thing is open source - no one nothing gets paid. How would any one make money - would we get back to community funding as it used to happen many thousands of years.
Sunday, August 28, 2005
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(100)
-
▼
August
(19)
- open source web design
- meeting 8/20
- web site creation
- Online (Free) Translation resources
- Company Todo
- comapny name search
- India & China potential NextGen world leaders
- Indian Radiologiest
- Trip: Uvas Canyan Waterfalls
- berry creek falls
- Santa Clara, Santa Cruz,
- Company - start new or join another
- Buying home
- Uvas Canyan Waterfalls
- Innovative Mortgage suggestions
- QA candidate help
- preparation before H1B arrives
- Language Resources
- Bowling
-
▼
August
(19)